The overall website design cost is dependant on the amount of work involved
Two factors determining how much work is involved;
- Website complexity
- Website size
A professional 15-page informational website with standard customization is going to cost less than a highly customized 50-page site with all sorts of design metrics in place.
In terms of actual Uganda shillings spent, the cost to build a website for a small business or organization can range from 750,000 UGX to 12,000,000 UGX.
That’s a big price range. So let’s break things down so you can get a realistic estimate for what it will cost to design and develop your website.
Now that you have a ballpark idea of what things cost, here’s a closer look at the specific factors affecting the price of building a small business website:
- Page volume. The number of pages you intend to have on your website which is synonymous with the purpose of your website and the information you want to portray to your website visitors.
- Site Template or Theme. Every website starts with a theme or template. Nobody codes a website totally from scratch anymore. That’s way too time-consuming and expensive. A template or theme often gets you 50-60% of the way to the finish line, but there’s still tons of customization and coding needed to get your site looking and functioning how you want it. The more customization and coding required, the greater the cost.
- Images & graphics. Fancy images and graphics can give your site a one-of-a-kind look, but it comes at a price. Sophisticated visual effects often require special editing software, not to mention the talent of a custom graphic design specialist.
- Logo. Although not required, a custom logo is a nice addition to any website. A custom logo kicks up the trust/credibility factor a notch. To get a decent-looking, professionally designed logo in 2021, expect to pay somewhere in the range between 100,000 – 3,000,000 UGX.
- Programming. Sometimes you can find a WordPress plugin providing the exact functionality you want right out of the box (i.e. image carousel, membership portal, payment calculator, etc). Other times, getting your site to do what you want requires significant trial/error and testing. In a perfect world, everything would be plug-and-play and work perfectly the first time — but that’s rarely the case. A fair amount of tinkering and testing is usually required to get everything working as intended.
- Number of design revisions. Most website projects start with an initial concept design (kind of like a rough draft), then it’s common to have 1 or 2 rounds of design revisions to get everything just right. Some website designers offer as many as 3-5 rounds of design revisions. Technically, a website designer can offer as many rounds of design revisions as they want. But keep in mind, every design iteration adds to the overall cost of the project.
- Content development (i.e. copywriting). Solid, thoughtful, persuasive content is the foundation of any great website. If you’re launching a new site but don’t have any content yet, it needs to be developed. If you have an existing site but the content is weak, stale or outdated, it’ll need to be refined, enhanced … maybe even overhauled. Over the years I’ve discovered the # 1 obstacle to launching a website is content development. Our clients struggle with this because it’s time-consuming and difficult to do. That’s why a few years ago we began offering professional copywriting services to our website design and development offerings. Yes, you want your website to look modern and stylish, but it’s your website’s content that moves the needle.
PRO TIP: Be careful with budget pricing. Unusually low prices often translates to shoddy workmanship, an unpleasant experience or nickel and diming you for every little thing. As they say, you get what you pay for.Othware Uganda Limited
At Othware Uganda we offer a complete set of website solutions including website design, Search Engine Optimization commonly known as SEO, Website and updates maintenance, Content Development, Website redesign and Website Hosting Services. Talk to our website experts today in our free consultation sessions.